Friday 30 May 2014

Semiotics: visual poem
















Oh my giddy aunt, I've been working on this big ol' brief for a while now. Going to New York (yes, in March) I saw this poem on the metro:

I remember my mother toward the end,
folding the tablecloth after dinner
               so carefully,
as if it were the flag
               of a country that no longer existed,
but once had ruled the world.


Coming back and setting out to work on interpreting this poem with semiotics, nazis attacked and stabbed some feminists in my home town and all hell broke lose in my insides. Still informed by Jim Moore's poem, my project geared towards more personal, political territory. 

Fold-a-flag is about the flag as a symbol and how the way one reads a flag can be distorted or shifted over as little time as a decade. How a society can decide to turn against a group of people, against reason and compassion, lured by the idea of "our" well-being as being separate from "theirs". 

It's a realistically useless design project meant to bring personal inner calm (to me, and to you too if you want) and make you think about what you could do practically to change our society to the better. Voting in the EU-elections would have been a good start. Not voting for joke politicians would have been another.



















-> FOLD A FLAG WEBSITE <-

No comments:

Post a Comment